Sunday, November 13, 2011

Maseramu Part 4

I'm definitely not the blogger in the family.  Andi has been reminding me the 4th part of my 4 part post is still not done.  (remind me not to do 4 part blogs in the future) it is.

After we finished with the two lessons on Thursday afternoon we said goodbye to our friends that had to hike back to Jandiayaku and spent some time with the kids.  Jonathan was quick to get into a game of soccer and I grabbed my camera.  It was fun!  The kids just followed me everywhere and we ran and took pictures and smiled.  Life in the jungle is hard, but smiles come quickly.   Even as the afternoon sun set, I was covered in sweat and trying to keep it off the lens of the camera.  Fingers too, I had to keep so many little fingers from streaking up the lens as the crammed in to see their photos on the screen.  My next project is to send these photos off to be printed and take them back to the community.

The kids had a lot more energy than I did after sweating all afternoon
Before it got too dark we headed back to the school room to get our beds ready for the night.  Even though we were under a "tin" roof a mosquito net is still needed.  The other guys had small tents that they erected to keep the bugs out.  I carry a small net in my flight bag, so I strung it up and got my sleeping bag and pad out.  The bag ended up serving as padding only, as the heat didn't relent until the early hours of the morning.  Thankfully the net worked and although I didn't sleep well, the hard floor was to blame, rather than insects.

Galo and his daughter play as we eat our lunch. What a smile!
Shortly after the night closed in, we were invited back to Galo's house for supper.  His wife prepared some of the rice and tuna we had brought.  We ate in the dark and talked to Galo and his family about all kinds of things.  By the time we headed back to our beds it seemed sooo late.  As I climbed into my bed, I realized it was 8:30 pm.  Our conversations died down quickly and I envied the first of us to fall a sleep as I heard his light snoring.

The next morning we again awaited our neighbors from Jandiayaku and then began with the last three lessons.  The group was smaller, but the folks seemed to be paying close attention to the lessons. It was an honor to be able to share God's word with them.   We were thankful for the sun, even thought it meant a hotter morning we knew it meant we could fly home when we finished.  We finished the lessons and then spent some more time with the community.  They fixed us lunch and we enjoyed our last meal with our Masaramu friends.  Afterwards we packed up our things and I went to get the plane ready.  It was hard to do a proper "pre-flight" inspection as the kids tagged along at each step.  By the time I finished I was dripping with sweat.  I headed back over to the school room and we spent some time talking and saying good bye.

Masaramu in the early morning fog.  The red grass is actually burned areas that looked red in the morning sun and dew.
As we took off I couldn't help but think of all the times I've been to Masaramu and never taken the time to get to know the people there.  To be honest, it has always been a community that tended to annoy me.  That may sound rude, but each community has it's own personality.  Masaramu has always been a community that has to be reminded to cut the grass on the runway and just a few weeks before our visit I had to threaten to close the runway if the work wasn't accomplished.   I'm sure that probably won't change because of our visit,  but hopefully my heart is easier for the people to see when we talk.  We want to serve them and keep exploring what God has to say to the Sapara people of Masaramu through his word.  Please pray that God's Holy Spirit will work through our feeble attempt to explain His great and wonderful plan for their lives!!!

The moon sinks as the morning arrives

Some of our friends head back down the runway to there homes

Galos' pet parrot.  Not the prettiest bird in the jungle, but cute in a scrawny sort of way!
One last photo with some of the community before we left for Shell. 

No comments:

Post a Comment